Good morning. Paul then gives Timothy a “warning“, which we should all take to heart today. I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus (Paul is not making some frivolous statement), who is to judge the living and the dead (you know it is getting serious, when he brings judgment into it), and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word (that was Timothy‘s main job, not making sure that the church picnic turned out great); be ready in season and out of season (in other words, be ready at all times - us too; you never know when opportunity will arise); reprove, rebuke, exhort, (those three words do not mean to coddle the parishioners) with great patience (we want to see results now, and sometimes it takes a little longer with certain people) and instruction. Next time we will see why Paul gave Timothy this admonition. Father help us to be ready at all times to share Your word with those who need to hear it.
Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me
Good morning. Paul then gives a list of a lot of things that he has gone through as an apostle. I do not write these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. There could be many people that you listen to either in church or through the Internet or other means; but there was only one person (as a general rule it was a person) that lead you to Christ. Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me. He was saying that just like a child imitates his or her father, they were to imitate him. He says that again seven chapters later. Since it is easy to forget some things about people we have not seen in a while, Paul says that he sent Timothy to them to remind them of his ways which are in Christ, just as he taught everywhere in every church. Some have become arrogant, as though I were not coming to you. I shall find ou...
Comments
Post a Comment