Good morning. And God has appointed in the church, first
apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of
healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. Some think that the
ordering is the importance of each to the church; I.e. apostles are the most
important etc.; but I think there is another possibility - that it is the order
in which they need to appear in the formation of a church. In other words,
apostles are the first in order to lay a foundation, then the prophets are
needed to build up the body and to point out those who are in leadership in the
church, then teachers to instruct, etc. These too are gifts to the church; but
they are people and not “things“. And just like “not everyone has the same gift
of the Spirit“, not everyone has the same ministry. Just like the gifts, it
would be useless to have a church full of apostles and nothing else. As I have
said before, you see too many people saying “I am apostle so and so, or I am
prophet so and so”; but you don’t hear anyone say, “I am John Doe, minister of
helps”. Where’s the glory in that? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And
I show you a still more excellent way. We will look at that way next time.
Father help us to find our ministry in the church and to exercise the
responsibility that comes with it.
Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me
Good morning. Paul then gives a list of a lot of things that he has gone through as an apostle. I do not write these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. There could be many people that you listen to either in church or through the Internet or other means; but there was only one person (as a general rule it was a person) that lead you to Christ. Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me. He was saying that just like a child imitates his or her father, they were to imitate him. He says that again seven chapters later. Since it is easy to forget some things about people we have not seen in a while, Paul says that he sent Timothy to them to remind them of his ways which are in Christ, just as he taught everywhere in every church. Some have become arrogant, as though I were not coming to you. I shall find ou...
Comments
Post a Comment