Good morning. Woe to the
scribes and Pharisees for a bunch of different things. They are careful about
obeying the tiniest bit of the law, or at least what they have interpreted to
be part of the law; and yet they miss the more important aspects of the law.
Jesus calls them whitewashed tombs. They look good on the outside, but inside
they are yucky. They appear to be doing all the right things - but with all the
wrong motives. Jesus unleashes on them. I am sending you prophets and wise men
and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will
scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city. They will not
listen to reason from anyone. Why is this going to happen – that upon you may
fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the righteous
blood of Abel to the blood of Zachariah. All these things shall come upon this
generation. Then Jesus laments the actions of Jerusalem: Who kills the prophets
and stones those who are sent to her! He wanted to gather them together like a
hen gathers her chicks under her wings. They were unwilling, and because of
this her house was being left to her desolate! You shall not see Me again until
you say “Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!" Father thank
You that the reader listens and obeys. You make his/her crooked path straight.
Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me
Good morning. Paul then gives a list of a lot of things that he has gone through as an apostle. I do not write these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. There could be many people that you listen to either in church or through the Internet or other means; but there was only one person (as a general rule it was a person) that lead you to Christ. Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me. He was saying that just like a child imitates his or her father, they were to imitate him. He says that again seven chapters later. Since it is easy to forget some things about people we have not seen in a while, Paul says that he sent Timothy to them to remind them of his ways which are in Christ, just as he taught everywhere in every church. Some have become arrogant, as though I were not coming to you. I shall find ou...
Comments
Post a Comment