Good morning. Peter was following Jesus, and so was another
disciple. Now that disciple was known to the high priest, and entered with
Jesus into the court of the high priest. Most people believe that this other
disciple (who was the same one designated as the disciple whom Jesus loved) was
John. One may rightly wonder why a fisherman would be known to the high priest.
They would not normally mingle with the same group of people. Remember that one
of the gospels talks about James and John, their father, and the hired
servants. Their father would have had to have had a pretty good fishing
business to have to hire servants. He could have been wealthy and run in the
same circles as the high priest. But Peter was standing at the door outside. So
the other disciple went out and spoke to the doorkeeper, and brought Peter in.
Then the slave girl who kept the door said to Peter, you are not also one of
this man’s disciples, are you? He said, I am not. This was the first denial by
Peter. Now the slaves and the officers were standing there, having made a
charcoal (I don’t know if it was Kingsford charcoal 🙃 ) fire,
for it was cold and they were warming themselves; and Peter was also with them,
standing and warming himself. This was the morning when the Passover was to
occur, and Passover a lot of times is the same time as our Easter. You are
probably familiar with the fact that a lot of times it is cold at Easter
sunrise services. The high priest then questioned Jesus about His disciples,
and about His teaching. Father help the reader to have a great day. Help him/her
to trust You to take care of his/her every need.
Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me
Good morning. Paul then gives a list of a lot of things that he has gone through as an apostle. I do not write these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. There could be many people that you listen to either in church or through the Internet or other means; but there was only one person (as a general rule it was a person) that lead you to Christ. Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me. He was saying that just like a child imitates his or her father, they were to imitate him. He says that again seven chapters later. Since it is easy to forget some things about people we have not seen in a while, Paul says that he sent Timothy to them to remind them of his ways which are in Christ, just as he taught everywhere in every church. Some have become arrogant, as though I were not coming to you. I shall find ou...
Comments
Post a Comment