Good morning. I hope the peace of God slept with
you last night. Verses five and six of chapter 6 first Timothy: Constant
friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose
that godliness is the means of great gain. Now wait a minute Paul. Haven't you
been talking about how good it is for godliness? Then he says but godliness
actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. These men
were talking about godliness in the sense of asceticism (wow where did that
word come from?) they were doing it out of their own ability; don't do this -
be sure to do that. There was no contentment in what they were doing. You see we
can't achieve this godliness. Only God working in us can do that. Remember that
it is God who gives you the will and the ability to do the work that achieves
godliness. May you have a blessed day thinking only peaceful and happy thoughts
Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me
Good morning. Paul then gives a list of a lot of things that he has gone through as an apostle. I do not write these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. There could be many people that you listen to either in church or through the Internet or other means; but there was only one person (as a general rule it was a person) that lead you to Christ. Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me. He was saying that just like a child imitates his or her father, they were to imitate him. He says that again seven chapters later. Since it is easy to forget some things about people we have not seen in a while, Paul says that he sent Timothy to them to remind them of his ways which are in Christ, just as he taught everywhere in every church. Some have become arrogant, as though I were not coming to you. I shall find ou...
Comments
Post a Comment